Sunday, August 4, 2013

Diy - Make Your Own Bows And Headbands


I wanted to make some headbands for Shelbi because the store prices are insane! She just had her 6th birthday and when we were looking at headbands I was surprised how much they were. So we went to Michael's and bought a three pack of plain white headbands for $2.49, Pink and white ribbon for $1.99 each, And a box of jewels for $1.99. I already had hot glue, needles, and thread, But all in all these will cost me about $2.50 a piece instead of $8.00 like I saw in Claire's. 


Take your ribbon and cut  small pieces, I used five, but you can use as many as you like. 


Bring the ends together


Pinch it in the middle


Now here you can hot glue the middle and pinch together to bind or do what I did and run a needle and thread through the middle to connect. My ribbon was very thin and I was concerned the hot glue would burn me. You can make as many of these as you want to layer your bow, I used five in this one. Three pink and two white. 


After you have all your pieces made you will want to start connecting them in an X pattern on top of each other. I apologize for the following photos, my originals did not upload properly so I had to make some new ones real quick, but they are just being held by tape. These are just to show you  how to layer so disregard the tape in the middle. 


Place your first piece horizontally and put a dot of hot glue in the middle, then place your X pattern on top. Make sure you are putting hot glue in between each layer. 


Then place your next layer in a cross pattern on top of the other layers. Once again hot gluing in between


Then hot glue your jewel in the middle of the cross :)

I got the idea for the headbands from Titi Crafty One of my favorite blogging friends. You can see her tutorial here on how to make this into a headband. 



This is the finished product from the one make with ribbon. 


This was another one I made for her using the same technique, But this one is made with duck tape and ribbon. 

I wrapped the headband with duck tape. I would recommend the tape be a very busy pattern so you wont be able to see the seams. For the bow I layered ribbon and duck tape. For the center part that's duck tape just fold the tape over itself with the sticky part inside so it sticks and cut two equal rectangular shapes. Then continue the same way you did above but adding a matching button instead of a jewel. 

This post linked with 

3 comments:

TitiCrafty by Camila said...

I loooooove them!!!! I feel so excited that I actually inspired you to make them, it's so exciting! I love them really, she looks adorable!

Thanks so much for sharing it with me!

Hugs
Cami @ TitiCrafty

lynda wiggins said...

Thanks Camila! We had a lot of fun making them. Shelbi is actually making one herself, I'll have to post it when she is finished. They were really easy wish we would have done this sooner :)

Butterfly In The Attic said...

Thanks again for stopping by ButterflyInTheAttic and participating in our Linky Party

I grabbed and posted your button also

Have a great night!
Colleen

ShareThis

Amazon Go Green

Ftc Advertising Disclosure

The opinions expressed above are 100% my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”